Department of Fishing Technology and Seafood Processing Technology
Head of Department : Prof.Dr. Akın T. İlkyaz
Vice Head of Department: Prof.Dr.Gülnur Metin
Vice Head of Department:Prof.Dr. Berna Kılınç
Department of Fishing Technology and Seafood Processing Technology is one of the three departments of Ege University Fisheries Faculty. The department consists of two divisions as Fishing Technology Section and Seafood Processing Technology Section. There are 15 Professors, 7 Associate Professors, 1 Assistant Professors., 1 Dr. Lecturers, 1 Dr. Research Assistants and 1 Dr. Engineer as total of 26 academic staff working in the department.
In the field of study and education subjects in our department are commercial and amateur fishing, fishing gears and methods, fishing gear selectivity, fish behavior, population dynamics and fish stocks assessment, artificial reef, remote sensing and geographic information systems, lagoon fishing and management, marine protected areas, fishing vessels and equipment, fisheries cooperatives, sustainable fisheries policies and fisheries economy and management, quality in aquaculture, chemical composition determination, new packaging technologies, product development and quality improvement, by-product technologies, seafood chemistry and microbiology, seafood safety and quality management.
Trainings are done; laboratories in Urla and Bornova Campuses (fishing gear, fish biology, seafood microbiology and chemistry), marine studies on our research vessel (EGESÜF) in the Urla unit, and our Homa Dalyan located in Çamaltı Tuzlası.
Mission of the Fishing Technology and Seafood Processing Technology Department:
To train Aquaculture Engineers equipped with the knowledge and skills to serve in the field of aquaculture, who can take part in the development and management of aquaculture in line with the goal of environmental friendliness and sustainability, adhere to universal and professional values, present their knowledge and experience for the benefit of society, and adopt the importance of lifelong learning in the fishing and seafood processing.
Vision of the Fishing Technology and Seafood Processing Technology Department:
Being a leader in scientific research in the Fisheries Engineering, Department of Fishing Technology and Seafood Processing Technology, a strong cooperation, and communication network with its national and international stakeholders, offers student-oriented, quality priority and sustainable development education and training activities, and being strengthens its education and training activities and also to be a department that always cares and protects its graduates employed in the public and private sectors, and supports national and international cooperation.
Program Educational Purposes:
- To train graduates who can consider national priorities and resources in the field of Fishing Technology and Seafood Processing Technology,
- Equipped with knowledge and skills in the field of Fishing Technology and Seafood Processing Technology, able to present the information they receive for the benefit of the,
- Able to cooperate with professional and non-governmental organizations; prone to interdisciplinary and interdisciplinary teamwork, able to carry out individual planning and studies,
- Adopting the principle of lifelong learning, thinking analytically, committed to universal and professional values, entrepreneurial, open to innovations and culturally equipped,
- Able to work efficiently in public, private sector, and non-governmental organizations; developed analytical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Adequate knowledge of mathematics, science and subjects specific to the Fishing and Processing Technology discipline; Ability to use theoretical and applied knowledge in these fields in complex engineering problems.
- Ability to define, formulate and solve complex problems in the fields of Fishing and Processing Technology, the ability to select and apply appropriate analysis and modeling methods for this purpose.
- The ability to design a complex system, process, device or product related to the field of Fishing and Processing Technology, under realistic constraints and conditions, in other words, to meet certain requirements, taking into account the possibilities and the current situation of the area in question, and the ability to apply modern design methods for this purpose.
- Ability to select and use modern tools necessary for the analysis and solution of complex problems encountered in Fishing and Processing Technology applications, ability to use information technologies effectively.
- Ability to design, conduct experiments, collect data, analyze and interpret results for the study of complex problems or discipline-specific research issues encountered in the field of Fishing and Processing Technology.
- Ability to work effectively in Fishing and Processing Technology and in multi-disciplinary teams; individual working skills.
- Ability to write effective reports in the field of Fishing and Processing Technology, to understand written reports, to prepare design and production reports, to make effective presentations, to take and give clear and understandable instructions.
- Awareness of the necessity of lifelong learning; the ability to access information, to follow developments in science and technology, and to constantly renew oneself.
- Knowledge of ethical principles, professional and ethical responsibility, and standards used in engineering practices.
- Knowledge of applications in business life such as project management, risk management and change management related to Fisheries Engineering; awareness of entrepreneurship, innovation; information about sustainable development.
- Information about the effects of engineering practices on health, environment and safety in universal and social dimensions and the problems of the age reflected in the field of engineering; awareness of the legal consequences of engineering solutions.
- To be able to communicate verbally and in writing with national and international stakeholders, to establish/develop cooperation by choosing the most appropriate communication methods for this purpose.
- The ability to follow the national and international contemporary issues.