Head of Department : Prof.Dr. Haşmet ÇAĞIRGAN
Vice Head of Department: Prof.Dr. Aysun KOP
Vice Head of Department: Assoc.Prof.Dr. Hülya SAYGI
Aquaculture Department is one of the three departments of Ege University Fisheries Faculty and also consists of two divisions as Aquaculture and Fish Disease Section. In the department of Aquaculture, there are 13 Professors, 9 Associate Professors, 2 Assistant Professors., 2 Dr. Lecturers, 8 Research Assistants, 1 Engineer and 2 Technicians. Educational and consultancy activities are focused on marine and fresh water fish culture, Larval rearing, crustacean and arthropod culture, plankton culture, macroalgae culture, fish feeding and feed technology, aquaculture economy, ornamental fish culture, fish disease and treatments. Besides, there are a total of 16 laboratories, 9 in the Bornova campus (Bioanalysis Laboratory of Fish Culture, Industrial Candidate Species Culture Laboratory, Molluscs and Arthropods Culture Laboratory, Algal Biotechnology Laboratory, Egemar Aquarium and Biotechnology Laboratory, Fish Diseases Laboratory, Fish Nutrition and Feed Technology Laboratory, Breeding and Genetics Laboratory) and 7 in the Urla campus (Aquaculture and Fish Nutrition Laboratory, Fish Diseases Laboratory, Virology and Tissue Culture Laboratory, Invertebrates Culture Laboratory, Algal Biotechnology Laboratory, Plankton Culture Laboratory, Aquatic Plants Laboratory), which have necessary equipments for education/training and research. In addition to these, culture studies of marine and inland aquatic organisms are carried out in Dr. H. Okan KAMACI Research and Application Unit in the Urla campus.
MISSION OF THE AQUACULTURE DEPARTMENT
To train Aquaculture Engineers equipped with the knowledge and skills to serve in the field of aquaculture, who can take part in the development and management of aquaculture in line with the goal of environmental friendliness and sustainability, adhere to universal and professional values, present their knowledge and experience for the benefit of society, and adopt the importance of lifelong learning in the Aquaculture.
VISION OF THE AQUACULTURE DEPARTMENT
Being a leader in scientific research in the Fisheries Engineering, Department of Aquaculture, a strong cooperation, and communication network with its national and international stakeholders, offers student-oriented, quality priority and sustainable development education and training activities, and being strengthens its education and training activities and also to be a department that always cares and protects its graduates employed in the public and private sectors, and supports national and international cooperation.
- Sufficient knowledge in the fields specific to the Fisheries Engineering discipline; To be able to use of theoretical and applied knowledge for solving aquaculture engineering problems in these fields.
- The ability to define, formulate and solve problems in the Fisheries Engineering, Department of Aquaculture, to choose and apply appropriate analysis and modelling methods for this purpose.
- The ability to design the production system, process or product related to the field of aquaculture in a way that will meet certain requirements, considering the possibilities and the current situation of the field in question, and to apply and manage modern design methods for this purpose.
- The ability to select and use modern tools and effectively use information technologies for the analysis and solution of problems encountered in the Fisheries Engineering, Department of Aquaculture.
- The ability to design, conduct experiments, field studies, collect data, analyse and interpret results in order to examine the problems encountered in aquaculture or research issues specific to the discipline.
- The ability to work effectively in interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary teams related to Fisheries Engineering, Department of Aquaculture; individual study skills.
- The ability to write effective reports in the field and to understand written reports, to prepare design and production reports, to make effective presentations, to take and give clear and understandable instructions.
- Awareness of the necessity of lifelong learning; ability to access knowledge, follow developments in science and technology, and constantly renew themselves.
- Acting in accordance with ethical principles in Fisheries Engineering, Department of Aquaculture, knowledge of professional and ethical responsibility and standards used in engineering practice.
- Knowledge of applications in business life such as project management, risk management and change management related to Fisheries Engineering, Department of Aquaculture; awareness of entrepreneurship, innovation; information about sustainable development.
- The effects of Fisheries Engineering aquaculture practices on health, environment and safety in universal and social dimensions, information about the problems of the age reflected in the field of engineering; awareness of the legal consequences of engineering solutions.
- To be able to communicate verbally and in writing with national and international stakeholders, to establish/develop cooperation by choosing the most appropriate communication methods for this purpose.
- The ability to follow the national and international contemporary issues.
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES
1. To train graduates who are able to consider national priorities and resources in the field of aquaculture,
2. Equipped with knowledge and skills in the field of aquaculture, able to present the information they receive for the benefit of the society by using them in the aquaculture,
3. Able to cooperate with professional and non-governmental organizations; prone to interdisciplinary and interdisciplinary teamwork, able to carry out individual planning and studies,
4. Adopting the principle of lifelong learning, thinking analytically, committed to universal and professional values, entrepreneurial, open to innovations and culturally equipped,
5. Able to work efficiently in public, private sector, and non-governmental organizations; developed analytical thinking and problem-solving skills.